Gold one-ounce medal Stories of our history - Czech Philharmonic proof
The cycle of the Czech Mint "Stories of Our History" tells about the world-famous but forgotten chapters of Czech history, which every good patriot should be proud of. The third commemorative medal from one troy ounce of pure gold will delight mainly music experts. It is dedicated to the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and the events that took place 100 years ago.
The story of the Czech Philharmonic is not only a story of our most significant symphony orchestra, but also of Czech cultural identity. The musical body began as a noble leisure activity of the National Theater players who wanted to convey the leading works of domestic and world music to the public and to support colleagues who could no longer play. The first concert of Czech Philharmonic Orchestra took place in the Rudolfinum under Antonin Dvorak´s baton on 4th January 1896, and built a considerable reputation not only at home but also on European scenes during the next two decades. Indeed, the Czech premiere took place under interesting circumstances in the independent Czechoslovak Republic. The Orchestra trial conducted by Vaclav Talich took place in the Municipal House on memorable October 28, 1918, when the patriotic passions and independence were proclaimed in Prague. When the chief of Philharmonic Orchestra invaded the trial with an excited shout "We have freedom! Everything on the street!", the conductor who was completely absorbed in Josef Suk's symphonic composition called Maturnity only replied: "That's nice, but we have to play." Only later, when he came out on the street, Talich understood what was happening and did everything to ensure that Prime Minister Suk's work was given the meaning of the fateful October. The response was extraordinary and the names of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and Vaclav Talich became a concept in the musical world ...
The author of the third "Story of Our History" is MgA. Martin Dasek again. The reverse side of the medal is dominated by the bust of Vaclav Talich, surrounded by a copy of his name and life dates. The obverse side of the medal was dedicated to a detailed look at the Smetana Hall of the Municipal House, which hosted the test of Suk´s Maturnity, and the silhouette of the newly established republic. The description of the obverse side then commemorates the word exchange between the director of the Philharmonic Orchestra and the conductor Talich.
Each of just 100 pieces of medals is hand-numbered on the edge and provided with a special certificate of origin.